Come along on my journey ... 🏄‍♀️

Saturday, April 2, 2022

Sound of the waves in Sooke

After losing my surfing streak to being busy and poor conditions, I decided to check out the waves on Saturday, though the conditions weren’t super promising. I made the venture out as I knew it was my last opportunity to surf before my technology class ended. We decided to check out a new spot that I had never surfed at before, though the waves seemed to be too small, and since it was on the way to Jordan River anyways, we didn’t waste much time. We decided to keep driving as Jordan River seemed more promising. Unfortunately, that was a false evaluation. When we got to Jordan River, the waves were messy and the tide was very low, making it difficult for me to surf. I had to make a decision, was I going to try to surf bad waves at Jordan River or go back to the other spot and risk not being able to surf at all?

I ended up deciding to go BACK to the other spot, and walk further down the beach. We watched the waves for awhile, evaluating whether it was worth putting our suits on. Perfect little waves every 10 minutes rolled in, but it was still really shallow. With our time constraint, and the risk of not catching any waves, we decided against going into the water, though I decided that next time I surfed I would come back and try this new spot out. Although I didn’t get to surf, I experienced what many other surfers have to go through, by evaluating the wave situation and making the gamble of staying put or checking out a new location. Though it didn’t work in my favour, I’m excited to have found this new spot and be able to try it out the next time!

Video of the Wave: Taken on an Iphone

Previous

Week 9: Reflection

Next

Week 10: Reflection

1. laurencrisp

Hi Erica,
    I love how you incorporated a video and an audio of the waves! It’s so frustrating when the conditions don’t match what they were supposed to be but I guess that’s the risk we take. I love finding new waves to surf as well and I hope you get to try out that new spot next time 🙂